BREAKING NEWS: Al-Nassr match called off due to power problem due to heavy rain at stadium in Riyadh – fans desperate to see if banned new signing Cristiano Ronaldo will make his debut

  • Al-Nasr’s match on Thursday has been postponed due to heavy rain in Riyadh
  • It means Cristiano Ronaldo’s potential Al-Nassr debut has been put on hold
  • Heavy rain caused power problems at the stadium, which forced the decision.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s debut in Saudi Arabia was halted after heavy rain hit his new club’s ground with power issues, leading to Thursday’s match being postponed.

Hundreds of staff, including security, chefs and stadium staff, were barricaded outside the gates as there was confusion as to whether the match was going ahead.

Officials told MailOnline that the stadium was empty with the game due to start in two hours.

66228159 11602495 image a 16 1672923757260

66228207 11602495 image a 18 1672923791383

A group of cooks in white uniforms and several hundred security officers dressed in black stood outside the closed gates.

Supporters in the club’s yellow and blue stood outside as to why no official announcement had been made.

The players’ entrance at gate nine was sealed and unguarded.

Both police officers and security officers told MailOnline they were told the match was off.

The pitch was looking green and showing no signs of turning into a quagmire.

66228205 11602495 image a 17 1672923787126

But in a statement, Al Nassr said: ‘Due to heavy rain and weather conditions affecting stadium electricity, we have been officially informed that tonight’s match against Al Tai has been postponed for 24 hours. ‘

‘We apologize for any inconvenience caused to fans and wish everyone a safe journey.’

The cancellation has added to the embarrassment for Al-Nasr, who have spent over £400 million to secure Ronaldo’s services for the next two and a half years.

Mohammad Quam, a 20-year-old fan, said he was disappointed.

“It’s crazy that they can spend so much money on one player and then not even keep the electricity on the ground safely,” he said.

Ronaldo could still defy FA ban and make his debut for Al Nassr in their next match

Ronaldo could still defy FA ban and make his debut for Al Nassr in their next match

Ronaldo is yet to serve a two-match ban, which he was handed by the England Football Association in November for slapping a phone out of an Everton fan's hand during a game last season.

Ronaldo has not yet served a two-match ban handed down by the English Football Association in November for snatching a phone from an Everton fan during a game last season.

‘My heroes are Messi and Ronaldo and I dream of watching them play. I hope he can play when this match happens.

His anticipated debut tonight was already vetoed by FIFA after the football federation banned Ronaldo for two matches while he was a Manchester United player, which he has yet to serve.

But the club, which did not reveal whether it was going to abide by the ban, remained tight-lipped on whether he would appear.

A senior police officer told MailOnline that the game has been ‘100%’ canceled and will take place on Friday evening.

Advertisement



#AlNassr #match #closed #due #power #problem #due #heavy #rain #stadium

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *