MOSCOW, Idaho — The man accused of killing four College of Idaho students got a new license plate for his car five days after the murders, according to records released Wednesday.

Licensing documents in Washington state show the vehicle driven by suspect Brian Kohberger was a white Hyundai Elantra, the type of vehicle investigators have been searching for in recent weeks.

Moscow police said a white Hyundai Elantra from between 2011 and 2013 was seen near the crime scene on November 13, the night of the murders in Moscow, Idaho. Mr Kohberger’s car was a 2015 model and registered on November 18, according to the licensing document. A vehicle history report reveals that the car was previously registered in Pennsylvania, where Mr. Kohberger is from.

Mr. Kohberger, 28, had moved to Pullman, Wash., in recent months and begun studying criminology for a Ph.D. program at Washington State University in August. He has said through a lawyer that he is expected to be acquitted in the case. Mr. Kohberger’s new attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the license plate record.

On Wednesday, police in Indiana released new body camera footage showing that two weeks before Mr Kohberger was arrested, police there pulled him over twice in a 10-minute stretch for tailgating. Traffic stopped on December 15, when Mr. Kohberger was driving across the country with his father for the winter holidays in the same car for which he had received new license plates.

During both stops, the suspect’s father referred to a fatal police standoff that occurred earlier that morning near Washington State University, where his son was a student, and told the officer that he and his son were discussing the “horrific” incident .

The police shooting they were discussing has no connection to four fatal stabbings that occurred about a month ago in Idaho, just across the border from the WSU campus. Mr Kohberger has now been charged with murder on four counts of the stabbing.

Mr. Kohberger was the driver of the car during both stops, and since his arrest became the subject of an intense investigation, the public has seen the most recent footage of him. On Wednesday, Mr. Kohberger was flown by police from Pennsylvania, where he was visiting his parents after a road trip, to Idaho, where he is accused of stabbing four students to death overnight at their home on Nov. 13 .

A Pennsylvania State Police plane landed at Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport shortly before 6:30 p.m. and Mr. Kohberger was booked into Moscow’s Latah County Jail.

Mr. Kohberger’s father, Michael Kohberger, came to visit him in December, and he moved across the country from the WSU campus in Pullman, Wash., to his home in eastern Pennsylvania. During that trip, he was pulled over twice on December 15 for tailgating; In both traffic stops, the officers let the men off with warnings.

There is no indication that police in Indiana had any idea that Mr. Kohberger would be arrested for the murders, or that they knew about police in Moscow, Idaho, saying that a white Hyundai Elantra was seen at the crime scene. was seen near the Night of the Murders.

During the first stop, at about 10:42 p.m., a deputy from the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department pulled over Mr. Kohberger and his father along Interstate 70 just east of Indianapolis. Body camera footage released Wednesday captured the deputy asking where the two were going. In response, Mr. Kohberger’s father said that he was visiting from Washington and was talking about an ongoing police standoff near the Washington State campus that day.

Mr. Kohberger’s father told the officer that a “mass shooting” had occurred. He was corrected by his son, who said, “We don’t know if it was a mass shooting,” and cited the SWAT team being called in for the standoff. “It’s terrible,” Mr Kohberger’s father said in the video. That incident involved a man who police later said had locked himself in an apartment and threatened to kill his roommates before shooting and killing a police officer.

At another point in the video, the father said, “We’re a little aggressive because we’ve been driving for hours.”

After about three minutes, the deputy said, “Do me a favor and don’t get too close, okay?” And then returned Mr. Kohburger’s driver’s license and let him go.

Just five minutes later, Mr Kohberger and his father were pulled over again, this time by an Indiana state trooper who said they were tailgating. The audio from the trooper’s body camera is obscured by traffic noise, but Mr. Kohberger and his father can be heard telling the officer that they were stopped just minutes earlier. Again, the father told of the events of that morning in Washington State. The soldier wished them a safe journey and let them go with a warning.

Two weeks later, on December 30, police in Pennsylvania conducted a pre-dawn raid on the home of Mr. Kohberger’s parents, arresting Mr. Kohberger on suspicion of having committed the Idaho murders. Authorities said they also searched his car and issued a warrant to obtain his DNA. Mr. Kohberger has said through a public defender that he looks forward to being acquitted.

Mr. Kohberger had just finished his first semester at Washington State, which is about a 15-minute drive from the crime scene in Moscow. Classmates said she had shown an interest in the psychology of criminals as well as forensics.

Four University of Idaho student murder victims – Madison Mogen, 21; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Zana Kurnodl, 20; and Ethan Chapin, 20 – and Mr Kohberger’s arrest has sent shockwaves through the neighboring college towns of Moscow and Pullman.

The stabbing happened early in the morning in a house along a dead end road, a five-minute walk from campus. Police have said that the victims were asleep when they were attacked, and that two more roommates were in the house but apparently fell asleep during the murders.

Friends and relatives of the victims are looking into any links between the victims and Mr Kohberger, but so far none have been disclosed.

Police have said that the remaining roommates only realized something was wrong late in the morning and believe that one of their roommates had passed away. He called friends home and then someone called 911, after which police officers learned of the horrific scene.

#Live #Updates #DNA #Knife #Sheath #Led #Police #Suspect #Idaho #Slayings #Officials

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *